Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Fajitas & Tortillas & Discotecas . . . Oh My!

Ciao friends & family!

Sorry for the delay in posting but we still don't have internet in our apartment!
I wanted to post and tell you about the fun night that Jordan and I had on Saturday! After blogging/face timing at the bookstore on Saturday, Jordan and I started our trek back home (it takes about 15-20 minutes to get to the bookstore from our house). On our way back, we saw a restaurant that we had walked by a couple days earlier . . . Yogi & Boo Boo! The sign said that they had 'American food' so we thought we'd try it! We went inside and they told us that it would be an hour before they could seat us. No problem! We walked back home (in the rain I might add!), dropped off our computer stuff, had a quick glass of wine and some combos as an appetizer, and headed back to the restaurant!

When we finally made it back to the restaurant, we were seated right away. It was an awesome place inside! And even though it was 11 pm, the place was packed! We each ordered a beer and they came with pretty glasses to drink out of! Next, it was on to the menu! We thought that an appetizer sounded nice, and when we turned to the second page of appetizers, we were immediately drawn to 'queso'! We thought, why not, so we ordered it! (By the way, we're now ordering with our second waiter because the first waitress didn't understand us at all - they called the english speaking waiter in especially for us) When the 'queso' finally came . . . we were extremely disappointed. Melted mozzarella & mushrooms. WHAT!? haha. They gave us tiny triangle tortillas to eat the 'queso' with, but since it was no longer being heated, it started to congeal, making it very difficult to grab and eat.
Fast forward to ordering our main courses. . . . even though the 'queso' was not what we were expecting, we decided to branch out with our decisions again. Jordan ordered chicken & chorizo fajitas and I orderd 'Old El Paso' because it said (Tex-Mex) in parenthesis next to it! When our meals came out - all we could do was laugh. We each got rice & beans, guacamole, and salsa with our meals. The rice was tiny and super hard, the beans were cold, and the guacamole was a weird green paste. My 'chorizo burrito' turned out to be pot roast! Who would've thought! I had tortillas on my plate to put the pot roast in, but when I opened the first tortilla, it was filled with mashed potatoes . . . odd . . . yet delicious! Jordan's tortillas were tiny triangles again, making eating an actual fajita very difficult! Although our decisions didn't turn out to be what we expected, the food was delicious and we had a lot of fun!


After dinner, we went to a 'discoteca' with some of the guys from the football team. It was basically a big building that was packed with people. In the back room there was a Queen cover band playing which was pretty hilarious. Everyone knew the words and was singing along . . . everyone was also smoking so there was a haze that covered the entire room.




Ciao for now!
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Pizza Files

    I was not informed that this had been published, and although my co-editor does a great job, she failed to properly capture a few moments from the night. The 'queso' was never really melted anymore than cheese is melted on a pizza and gets really stringingy. And the 'tortilla chips' were actually just a cold tortilla cut into chip shape. We were given no fork, no spoon, no knife... just tortilla triangles. So needless to say, I got a lot of weird looks when I basically dunked my entire hand in the cheese and tried to pull out something that could go on my tortilla 'chip'. The rice, beans, and guac paste came in bowls that are about as big around as a silver dollar, and about 15 cm (like that metric system usage?!?) deep. Also, they prefer to serve you a bunch of little grilled chicken bites that are the size of chicken nuggets at chick-fil-a, as opposed to the conventional cut up strips off of a chicken breast... go figure.

    The Queen cover band ROCKED! although we didnt stay for the entire show because we both got emphysema in the short hour we were there, that was the best cover band show I've ever seen. As you can tell by the pictures, you cant even see the stage because of all the lights/lasers/ etc. Also, you probably wouldn't have guessed this, but Italian people LOVE Queen. They knew every word to every song and were going crazy. Very gnutes night.

    Also, a little football news, I found out that for the first time since 9th grade I will not be rocking a #21 jersey when I take the field as an elephant. #21 is already being worn by another player and instead of being a diva and demanding him to change his number like so many other stuck up athletes these days, I have decided to turn my swag up, and my number down... I will make my debut as an elephant on March 4th wearing #2. Some of my esteemed defensive colleagues at Baylor once told me that the lower the number, the higher the swag, so we'll see how that works out this year.

    ciao ciao
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete