Saturday, February 11, 2012

No dryer?!

Alright, Amberly's back on the blog!
Just wanted to share a couple things with all of you back home about our lifestyle here in Sicily. We are once again in the bookstore using their internet, but they're having a concert tonight so it's kind of fun!

Yesterday was my first time to do laundry since we got to Catania. I guess I've been putting it off because I wasn't really sure how to work the washing machine since the directions are all in Italian!
I went to the grocery store while Jordan was at football practice and picked a detergent that I thought would be best . . . again, it was all in Italian so I basically just guessed! When I got back home, I put about 6 shirts, 2 pairs of shorts, and some socks in the washing machine (that's ALL that fits!), put the detergent in the spot I thought it should go, and turned the knob and waited . . . and waited . . . and waited. It took about 2+ hours for the laundry to get done! Crazy! Sooo, my second time around, I turned the knob halfway and started it in the middle of the cycle. The clothes still smelled/looked clean so I think it was a success! As for the drying part of all of this . . . there are NO DRYERS IN CATANIA! Everyone hangs their laundry out to dry! (P.S. My grandparents in San Antonio still do this :) ) I found our 'drying rack' in the back room and put as many wet clothes on it as I could! Normally I would put it outside, but since it's rained almost every day since we've been here, I thought that would be a poor choice! Sure enough, it started raining about 2 hours later!




Another thing that Jordan and I find interesting about our apartment is the whole showering process. Our shower is TINY! The shower curtain touches you the entire time you take a shower, and you only have about 5-7 solid minutes of hot water at a time. This has turned us into speedy shower takers! You only have so much time before the water turns ice cold to shampoo and condition your hair! As far as when we get out of the shower- it's pretty chilly in our apartment (the coldest winter Italy has seen in 150 years!), so we run to the room next to the shower and stand in front of the heater! Haha. Once we're warm, we put on LOTS of layers and socks and then I start the process of drying my hair! Since I can't use my blowdryer, the team has been nice enough to provide me with a hairdryer built for a baby! It's SO TINY! Yesterday it took 30 minutes to dry my hair, and the power went off while I was doing it. Ha. The apartment was pitch black so I had to find the flashlight I brought and unlock our door . . . unlock our second door . . . and flip the power back on! What an experience! We lose power frequently in our apartment because apparently the power grid 'can only handle so much' as our Italian friend, Christian, told us!

Every day is an adventure for us here in Catania but we are loving every minute of it! Here's a quick pic of me and Jordan last night at a bar that the football team frequents!




That's all for now!
Ciao Ciao!

P.S. In the last blog, Jordan described something as 'super sick' . . . for those of you who don't understand that (shout out to my parents & my grandparents!!!) super sick = awesome :)

1 comment: